Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Videos: The Water Situation and Ants Carrying a Pringle

I honestly enjoyed my time in Ghana, but there were a few recurring themes that chipped away at that enjoyment. One such theme was the unreliability of the plumbing system. I've got a few hypotheses on why it would fail from time to time, but sometimes it's good to leave logic out of the equation. Trying to understand this water shortage may actually provide no useful basis for predicting how long it will last or when the next one will occur. You've just gotta roll with it.

So here's what I woke up to every morning for my last week in Ghana. If I left the faucet running long enough it would go one of two ways. If the system was working it would eventually normalize into the typical flow that you'd expect. If the system wasn't working, the water flow would trickle down to only drops and then nothing at all.




Next we've got our lovely ants. These guys redefined the meaning of having an annoying roommate. Every day I would find them in my room. I'm able to say that most of the time I did a great job protecting my food, but that wasn't enough to deter these guys. They would nibble on my toothbrush (gross, I know), sleep in my bed sheets, and even pop up from under the toilet seat when you were least expecting them. I tried a few - mainly insecticide - but nothing ever worked.

One day I was curious to see just how responsive they would be when I introduced food into the equation. I set a corner of a pringle on the ground in my room and waited with my camera in hand. The video below is from less than two minutes after first setting the pringle on the floor. I apologize for the odd lighting. The electricity was out (why else would I be bored enough to film ants?) so I used the flashlight on my phone to brighten things up.


No comments:

Post a Comment