Thursday, July 26, 2012

Can you say "Fresh"?

There is a juice company here called Blue Skies (http://www.blueskies.com/). It's some of the best juice I've had. In fact, it's the only juice I've ever had that tastes as good as if someone made it for you that morning. You never know with this one; that could actually be the case. Blue Skies does not use any preservatives, so it's bottled here in Accra and brought directly to the supermarkets. Here's a picture of the expiration date from the one I had just a few hours ago.


I have no clue what the usable window is for something like Nantucket Nectar, but I've got to believe that it's longer than one week. This juice makes everything else look (and taste) like the Twinkie version of juice. And there's no joking about this expiration date. I bought one a few weeks ago and put in in my refrigerator overnight. As my Ghanaian experience level at that time was n00b (read: complete beginner), I didn't think to check that the refrigerator was even on. This was just one of the things in my first week here that brought laughter to all those around me - hey, at least it made someone happy in the process.

So anyway, leaving your Blue Skies in an unrefrigerated refrigerator is not a good choice. I went to drink it the next day and it was like a sour pineapple smoothie. No bueno.

I wish this had a better shelf life so I could bring some home with me, but I guess that gives you one more reason to visit Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment